Wallpaper border over latex paint

Old 03-17-09, 12:44 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wallpaper border over latex paint

Will be applying a chair rail wallpaper border over latex paint which was applied to previously painted wall last week. Local paint store advised me to wait at least three weeks for paint to cure before applying border. Otherwise, border can bond to paint surface and damage the finish when removed. Also, any water runs down the wall can mar the finish and result in having to touch up. Is this correct?

Thanks for any feedback!

Old 03-17-09, 02:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Was it their paint that they told to wait on?

It takes latex paint a week or two to cure but I have had paper hangers come behind my painting the next day and [depending on the paper hanger] didn't leave me too much to touch up. Streaking is mostly a problem with the darker colors. Do you have paint to touch up with if needed?

I don't know if it's true about the adhesive bonding too well with fresh paint but it sounds plausible. I have stripped paper that took several sticks of dynamite to remov e it from the wall

Old 03-17-09, 05:53 PM
S
Smile

Thanks for responding. The paint was purchased from Lowe's, I think. I'm just helping with the border. The paint store is local and has been in business for 50 years. They seem to be pretty knowledgeable. We do have paint to touch up (it's a baby aqua blue) but we would like to avoid the extra work. I'll think we'll wait it out just to be sure. Appreciate your input!

Old 03-30-09, 04:07 PM
B
Here's a trick to keep the wall clean. Layout your border by putting light pencil marks on the wall marking the bottom of the border. Buy a roll of "painters tape" which is partially adhesive and most paper, comes in 3" or 6" wide and is very lightly adhesive so it ocme off easy. Run the tape along your pencil marks around the room and tilt the bottom part of the tape away from the wall, this way any water drips or paste will drip away fro the wall. Use the tape to install the border, rinse off any extra paste, then pull the tape off, and there you go......done.

Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: