wall repair after removing wallpaper

Old 04-23-09, 07:40 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wall repair after removing wallpaper

HELP! Years ago I foolishly put up wallpaper on knockdown textured walls. The wallpaper went halfway up the wall with no wallpaper on the top half of the wall. I finally managed to scrape the wallpaper off but damaged the wall. How do I repair the bottom half of the wall to make it look like the top half?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-09, 08:12 AM
I
I'm not sure what "knockdown textured walls" are but i use joint compound whenever I need to smooth, fill, fair out a surface on walls and/or sheet rock. It spreads easily and looks great when finished painted if you take the time to sand and fair it well before painting.

Old 04-23-09, 11:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Knockdown texture is a splatter coat that is sprayed on and then before the mud sets up it's 'knocked down' with a wide knife - flattens out the splatters.

What type of damage is there to the wall? are there any rips in the drywall paper? or is it limitted to the texture?

Knockdown can be one of the harder textures to duplicate. The viscosity of the joint compound, nozzle size on the hopper gun, air pressure and how long after spraying before using the wide knife to knock it down - all play a part in how the texture will look. Generally the thicker the j/c, the heavier the texture will be. J/C is fairly cheap so if it doesn't look right, it wouldn't be too big of a deal to wipe it off [while wet] and try again.

What type of room is it? would a chair rail at the top edge of the wallpaper look good?
That would hide any change in texture.

Old 04-23-09, 04:50 PM
B
Hey, thanks for replying. There's damage in spots down to the brown paper and some of the texture is scraped off in many places. The room is a home office.

Old 04-24-09, 04:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
IMO the easiest way to fix it would be to touch up or retexture the bottom half and then seperate the 2 with chair rail if the texture doesn't blend well. I've only applied knock down texture with a hopper gun but I've heard of some diyers taking a brush and flicking the thinned down mud on the wall and then knocking that down.

Old 04-24-09, 06:39 AM
B
Thank you so much. Your answer has given me a few ideas to try. I feel a bit more confident now.