Plain paper poster stuck to plaster

Old 05-01-09, 09:51 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plain paper poster stuck to plaster

Hi there,

I'm really not sure if I'm putting this in the right place, hopefully it's okay.

I have two large posters (approx 3 1/2' x 4 1/2') on the walls of my apartment right now. I'm a student, so yes, they are paper posters fixed directly to the wall, I used double-sided foam tape (I'm sure there's a proper name for it but I don't have it) in each of the four corners for each poster.

I'm moving out in a couple of days, and I've run into a problem - both of the posters are stuck to the wall towards the bottom. I know how this happened, thinking back - it was the result of somebody leaning against the posters for a while while my apartment was warm (there isn't AC). Now, the posters are somewhat rare and I would not be able to get my hands on them again, so I would really like to save them - but I have already damaged them a little bit trying to slowly peel them off.

My question is, what might I try to get them off the wall? I don't really care about the condition of the wall, I can repaint - I just want to save the beautiful posters! I did try using a blow drier just because I happened to have one nearby, but the other suggestion I've had is to use steam. I'm not sure how I would go about doing this, though, steaming out the whole apartment via a hot shower isn't an option as the apartment is full of computers and steam is a terrible idea in that case.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Gavin

Old 05-01-09, 10:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
You might be able to take a putty knife and gently scrape/peel the adhesive back, maybe using a little water for a lubricant.

I assume the suggestion for steam was referring to either a wallpaper steamer or maybe one of those little steam machines you see advertised on tv.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: