Wallpaper over tile

Old 09-09-00, 10:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I would like to apply wallpaper over the ugly ceramic tile on my kitchen backspash. Can this be done? I need to do it inexpensively and, of course, easily.

Thanks, Tam.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-00, 11:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Unfortunatly I have never even considered this, so I don't realy have a firm answer. I suppose it is possible there is a product you could float over the tile (that will adhere properly) to smooth it, prime and paper over.

My only other idea would be to glue 1/4" sheetrock on the tile, primer, paper and trim it out, you would probably want to ancor the rock to the wall also. Someone else may have some idea's however.

Old 09-09-00, 01:25 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I have been using BITE PRIMER by Golden Harvest,found at most big box home centers,or R-35 by Roman Adhesives,found at Sherwin-Willaims, and have had no problem with drywall compound releasing. BITE product uses states BITE is specially formulated for use as an adhesive undercoat on non-porous surfaces such as vinyl wallcovering, enamel, paneling, tile, formica, and glass. I would let this primer dry 24 hours before mudding although it will be dry in an hour. Some lifting of this primer may happen if you aren't quik with the first coat of mud. A quart will cover 100 square feet and is about $5.00....Mike

Old 09-09-00, 01:41 PM
Visiting Guest
I have used R-35 for various wallpaper applications, I didn't even think about using it on tile for mud adhesion. I would sugest using some fine emory cloth to "score" the tile for better adhesion.