Painting over damaged bathroom drywall

Old 10-19-00, 06:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I recently purchased a home whose bathroom was in the middle of being redecorated. Short of it all is that the original builder (DIY) did not prime the drywall before applying the wallpaper and then somewhere down the road a different owner applied a new layer of wallpaper over the old. When I bought the home the owners were in the middle of removing all of the wallpaper. I wish to paint as I do not have a bathroom vent, but do have a window. The wallpaper will not come off completely in some areas, so the walls are slightly "rough" from the paper. Also have inadvertently removed some of the drywall paper. Any recommendations on how to smooth the walls in preparation for painting? Thank you!

Old 10-19-00, 09:16 AM
Visiting Guest
MaryK,
Rather than trying to paint over that "mess" have you thought about textured wallpaper? They have some nice ones on the market with different designs. You can apply that (It will hide the imperfections) and then paint it. They also sell borders to match. You can use a roller to apply the paint. I have used it on older walls. I have also taken the border and stained it with a stain/polyurethane to give the wall a carved wood appearance. It looks like the real thing! Good Luck!

Old 10-20-00, 03:26 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Tena has good ideas for you. The paintable, textured paper would solve all of your problems. Big box stores have it for as little as 8.00 per s/roll. If you go this route remove all loose from the wall and prime with BITE PRIMER(Lowes, Home Depot) or R-35(Sherwin-williams). Hang the paper. The alternative is to remove loose, prime with oil primer, skim walls probably twice, sand and prime. As you can see if you don't own a 10 inch mud knife and a pan, the mud, primer and tools could cost more than the paintable paper and you still have to master the wall skimming....Mike

Old 10-28-00, 06:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I hope this reply isn't too late...we had the same problem with our bathroom walls, for the same reason-no primer before the wallpaper was installed. We carefully took it all off, sanded with 80 grit sandpaper to get off the small bits of drywall paper, and applied something called Zinsser Gardz. It's a drywall sealer, looks like milk and seals it quite nicely for skimcoating or papering over. The damaged drywall then won't "bubble up" and make your finish look bumpy. I highly recommend textured wallpaper too and have found some at home depot which already is colored, that is you don't have to paint it after putting it up! What could be easier than doing it all in that one step? We probably could've put it on without doing a skimcoat, but didn't find it until later. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: