Wallpaper removall

Old 11-05-00, 04:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Is there any "miracle" solution that can be used in easing wallpaper removal? I have tried a tool that penetrates the paper and then different water based solutions such as vinegar and commercialy available compounds to ease in the removal. Nothing really seems to help. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Old 11-07-00, 08:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I am trying to remove the wall paper in an entry way that is half wallpaper on top with a textured bottom. I have torn up the wall with the same stuf you are using. I wanted to texture the whole wall, but I would have to peal off old paper and skimcoat the wall and then texture. I called a remodeling company and he said that he would just peel off the loose stuff and skim coat and cut out the bubbles and them skim again, but I don't know how well it would hold up? I am thinking of caving in and puting a textured wall paper up over the old horrible wallpaper and painting it with paneling (Wanyanscoating)on the bottom. If you come across a grand solution to your proablem please post. I will do the same. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Weekend_warrior (edited November 07, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Weekend_warrior (edited November 07, 2000).]

Old 11-09-00, 06:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

We had the same trouble with wallpaper removal. Doesn't everyone? Our problem was that the walls were never primed before they were papered. We gave up on the remover stuff and did it this way: Hubby carefully peeled off the paper from the top down, and when part of the drywall paper came up, he cut the wallpaper below that with a utility knife and started peeling from the other direction. After he got it all off, he sanded the walls with 80 grit sandpaper. After wiping off the dust with a damp sponge, I applied 2 coats of Zinsser's Gardz, which is specifically made for damaged drywall. Make especially sure to cover the dark brown spots where the drywall paper peeled off. Gardz prevents any bubbling up, unlike regular primers. Then skimcoat as much as you need to. You don't need to add another primer on to of the Gardz. This was not a perfect solution but it was the best one we found. We papered over those walls with textured paper and it looks great. I suppose if we were into perfection, we could've skimcoated utnil it was like new, and then painted. Gardz is pretty new on the market and may be hard to find. It is like painting with milk...white and very runny, but does the job quite well. We had no bubbling up problems, unlike when we tried other primers. And it surely beats replacing all the sheetrock in the room! (we tried that one, too.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: