hanging pre-pasted vinyl border

Old 11-12-00, 07:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a ceiling that is not level. How do I hang a border so as not to run into the ceiling with out it looking bad at the top. And whats the secret on how to hang it without any help?

Old 11-13-00, 07:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Hanging border against unlevel ceilings is a chore. Site un-seen, I will tell you how I would do it, Start in a corner and run it as level as the paper will allow, when icomes to a dip or bump, you may have to "bust" a seam, cut the border useing your straight edge and a new point on your blade (I use the break-away blades), overlap about 1/2 inch (smallest) and keep running it in line with the ceiling, at the angle needed, do this for every place that needs it, when you reach the end come back to the overlaps and hold your straight edge so that when you cut it, it will cut through BOTH peices, use a new point and carefully cut through, remove the peices (one on top and one underneath) smooth and clean with your sponge, you may have to carefully use your fingernail to seat the joint. This may not be completely invisible, but is the best way I know to do it.

As far as one person hanging it, that would be dificult without painters stilts, I would wait for a helper.

I hope Iunderstood you correctly. If this does not help, please post back.

[This message has been edited by Chipfo (edited November 13, 2000).]

Old 11-14-00, 07:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes thankyou, you understood me fine.I also thought of doing it that way but haveing a light border line of about 1/2" running on the top and bottom of the border I thought it might look funny. I also thought of holding the border down about 1/2"-1" to clear any drops in the ceiling. What do you think of this?

Old 11-14-00, 09:08 AM
Visiting Guest
The 1/2" light border line, you should be able to line those up with each other fairly well on the "busted" seam, the pattern is what will be affected, unless of course the inconsistancy of the ceiling is greater than I picture. Hanging the border slightly off the ceiling, I think would exagerate the inconsistancy of it, this is a hard decision, most borders are fairly inexpencive and quikly installed, you could try it one way, if it doesn't work for you, try it the other.

Sorry I don't a definate "quik fix" for you, but applications such as this is trial and error, even for the pro's You may find that a ceiling with such inconsistancy will look better with no border, i hope this isn't the case since you DO want a border.

Chip

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: