kitchen wallpaper removal

Old 06-12-09, 02:59 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kitchen wallpaper removal

Hi, I am having trouble removing the wallpaper from my kitchen. I have scored the wallpaper and applied dif (2 coats) to it and the paper does not come off. I have no idea what kind of wallpaper it is but I must believe it is non-porous since the wallpaper is not warping or bubbling at all when I soak it with warm water or apply DIF. I scrape and scrape and nothing comes out except small shreds which I end up plucking by my fingers (nothing like what they show on the diy channels on tv).

The wallpaper came with my condo so I don't know what kind of wallpaper it is, or what is underneath it.

Should I go and rent a steamer? It seems to be my last glimmer of hope. Am I not patient enough? I have worked on this for the past two evenings and have made little progress.

thank you

Old 06-13-09, 03:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Stripping wallpaper is rarely fun

Do you know if the paper is original to the condo? Some builders will have wallpaper hung over bare drywall
When that's done, it's near impossible to remove the wallpaper. Can you tell if there is paint behind the paper?

If the walls were painted before the paper was hung, you are likely not scoring the paper properly - either not enough or not deep enough. You have to cut thru the vinyl face of the paper for the water to get to the adhesive. A steamer may help some. The trick is to get the adhesive behind the paper wet. Once it's wet it will start to disolve allowing the paper to come loose.

If the wallpaper was hung over bare drywall I wouldn't bother stripping it. Coat the paper with an oil base primer, spackle as needed, sand and reprime. It should then be ready for paint.

Those TV shows almost always show the easy part and leave out the hard work.... and hair pulling

Old 06-14-09, 07:57 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Marksr... thanks for the welcome! and thanks for the response.

While I do not know if the wallpaper is original to when the condo was built, I have determined that there is a coating of paint under the wallpaper.

I ended up renting a steamer for the day and scored the hell out of the wallpaper. The steamer helped out tremendously and the wallpaper came off easily.

I am now stuck with lots of glue on the wall which I will now need to remove.

I also noticed that some of the painting came off with the wallpaper, thus exposing the drywall (I think it's drywall). Is it OK for me just to apply primer on the wall after I have removed all the glue and cleaned it? Or should I do something to the exposed wall first?

Thank you very much!

Old 06-14-09, 10:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Glad you got the paper off - it's never a great idea to paint over it. Unless you are certain that you've removed all the adhesive, it's a good idea to prime with zinnser's gardz or an oil base primer. That will lock down the adhesive so it won't cause issues later. If the drywall paper face is torn any - those areas should be coated with the same primer and then skim coated with joint compound as needed. Any patched areas will need sanding and priming but you can either use the same primer or a latex primer will fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: