Redoing the Bathroom

Old 09-07-09, 04:01 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Redoing the Bathroom

I'm getting ready to redo my bathroom. It has wall paper up now, but I want to take it down and just paint it. I assume I need to sand it down cause of the glue from the wallpaper.

What grade walpaper do I use!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-09, 04:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Removing wallpaper is not that difficult. I use a spray bottle with water, soak the wallpaper down, then it just peels off fairly easily. Some yellowish glue may remain, but just take your spray bottle to that and scrape it off. Once it's all off, you're gonna have to prime before you paint. They usually don't prime the walls before putting up wallpaper.

Old 09-07-09, 10:04 PM
R
Depending on the surface size and stubbornness of some wallpaper glue, there are tools perforate the wallpaper layer for easier removal with a scraper. Combined with special wallpaper solvent and it will come off more easily.

Old 09-16-09, 05:01 PM
D
The easiest way to get rid of the glue from the wall paper glue is to take a big sponge (like the kind you get for washing cars) and wet the wall paper...I mean, soak it, leave it for a few minutes, and then come back with a scraper (like a flat edged shovel or plaster-spreader) and it should come right off!!!

I did the same thing in a living room for my husband's brother's new house. There was a fifty year old mural on the wall that looked black from soot from the fireplace...we thought it would never come off, but after a few days of trying to sand it down(and not working very well), we discovered that wetting it down worked much better!

Old 09-17-09, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
A wet sponge works well, a pump up garden sprayer also works well. As noted you need to get the paper and more importantly the wallpaper backer and adhesive wet. Be sure to protect the floor from the water that will run down the wall. Scoring the paper allows the water to penetrate to the backer/adhesive.

Unless you are confident that ALL the adhesive has been removed - you need to prime. Not just any ol' primer, use either zinnser's gardz or an oil base primer. That will lock down the adhesive so it won't cause problems with the top coat.