Wallpaper over rough suface

Old 12-16-00, 05:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

The walls that we want to wallpaper are painted and are very rough as if the plaster/drywall compound was applied and then a stiff brush was used to texture the wall. We are concerned that the roughness will show through the wallpaper after the paper is applied.

Seems to me that sanding the walls will only knockdown the high points and will be messy.

In a prior home on an "orange peel" surface we 1st papered over the wall with a thick blank paper. It helped somewhat but was not really to our satisfaction, and was expensive.

I have heard about applying another coat of drywall compound over the surface to smooth it. Being that it is such a large surface area (verses a "patch") I am concerned that the compound will adhere properly.

Any ideas here? Thanks.

Old 12-22-00, 07:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Hanging wallpaper over texture such as that will show through and probably not adhere entirely to the surface, creating possible future problems. Your best bet is do like you mentioned, I would first quikly sand the walls with a 60 grit on a vibrating sander (or a pole sander), remove dust with a broom and skim the walls with joint compound, sand smooth, remove dust, prime (or size) and apply wallpaper. If you are not familiar with mud knifes I would suggest getting a pro to do the skimming and you do the rest.

Hope this helps,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: