surface defects

Old 12-24-00, 11:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Hello everyone,
Six months ago we papered our living room which went fairly well. However, during the past couple of months, white,chalky marks have appeared on the surface. These marks don't wipe off and the paper seems to have cracked beneath it.
We sent a sample of paper off to the supplier and they say it is due to excess paste on the surface.
Anyone else got any ideas!!!
Thanks.

Old 12-24-00, 06:34 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
guydennis, The reply you got from the paper company is a standard reply but I can tell you they are probably right. When hanging paper if ALL paste is not removed from the surface it can attack the papers surface after a period of time resulting in discoloration, a whitish appearance or outright lifting of the inks that make up the pattern. This paste is not visible after hanging but will cause you grief if not removed. That is why you will see pro hangers washing paper many times even though it appears to be clean after one sponging...Mike

Old 12-24-00, 06:37 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
guydennis, I failed to give you the bad news in my earlier post. After paste has reacted with the paper there is no repair that I know of....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: