Two part question concerning wallpaper

Old 05-09-11, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two part question concerning wallpaper

Our kitchen has wall paneling and my wife would like to wallpaper the kitchen with a textured paper she found. After doing some research it appears as though not many people are using wallpaper these days and I'm wondering if the same affect could be done with pain?

Anyway she would either like to hang the paper over the panel or rip the paneling down. My concern is what we find under the panels. I took a section off just to see what is on the wall. It appears as though the panels are hung over old wallpaper from the 70's or 80's and they used some type of adhesive. I'd much rather remove the paneling but fear this will be a job that will turn into something much more difficult than we'd thought.

For us to hang the paper does the old wallpaper need to be removed since it's over in adhesive? From what I've seen the walls are fairly smooth not rough.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-11, 10:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
It's best to remove the old paper although it is ok to hang paper over well adhered wallpaper. The biggest concern is if the original paper looses it's bond to the wall - the new paper will come loose also.

"After doing some research it appears as though not many people are using wallpaper these days and I'm wondering if the same affect could be done with pain?"

I'm not sure what you are asking
You can paint a wall and then use various kinds of faux painting techniques to decorate over top of the paint.

Old 05-09-11, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
I'm not a fan of wallpaper but if she already found the paper she wants you to hang....