Covering outlet plates

Old 01-05-01, 07:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi - I'm sure you've received this question a bazillion times but I hope you can help. I'm new to this site and to wallpapering. After doing all of the prep work I'm now ready to actually hang the paper (prepasted). Could someone tell me how to perfectly match the wallpaper pattern from the walls to the coverings of electrical outlets?

Carol

Old 01-06-01, 07:18 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Carol Jorgensen, Oh how I hate to cover plates but people are always amazed when they are matched. I go around the room cutting pieces that will fit and match the outlets. These will be roughly twice as big as the plates to begin with. At this point I brush border glue or vinyl over vinyl on all of the plates to let it start to cure. If they dry so much the better, just freshen it up a bit as you get to them. Now put some glue on a piece of the paper and let it dry about halfway. This drieing of the glue is very helpful in making the paper stay where you put it. Put the plate on the receptacle or switch and match the paper to the wall around it. Using your trimming knife slide it under the plate lifting it straight off of the wall. If the glue has dried just right before starting the paper should not move around on the plate. Wrap the plate. Check for a good match. Let them dry before putting them on so if ever removed they don't tear your paper...Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: