Is there a way to repair grasscloth wallpaper?? Please help

Old 08-15-11, 10:26 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Is there a way to repair grasscloth wallpaper?? Please help

My family just moved into a home built in 1972. It had just had lots of remodeling done to certain areas of the home, including the YELLOW grasscloth wallpaper. This is a rather large home, but being built in the early 70's, it has it's disadvantages...such as the narrow staircase and narrow opening leading upstairs to the 2nd story. This wallpaper is all in our foryer all down the wall leading into the entry of the kitchen...in the entire den area, and also leads up both sides of the staircase to the 2nd floor and all along one entire wall of the hallway upstairs...YELLOW. Since the opening to the staircase is so narrow we had a VERY difficult time getting the queen box springs and dresser up that staircase...it was a nightmare. Needless to say, we have made numerous small scratches in the grasscloth wallpaper trying to manipulate the box springs and furniture up that staircase opening and around the narrow corner in the hallway. It looks as though the "grass" is just scratched completely off in those small areas, and I cannot stand dirty, nasty, or scratched walls, so I am dying to fix this, but do not know how to do it or if there is even a way?? I am a novice at DIY , but I will get my fiance to help me...he is good at this stuff. The man at Lowes suggested that we buy some paint and lightly smudge the paint directly into the scratched areas of the wallpaper to fix it. We took him a very small sample of the wallpaper from behind the light switch and he tried to match the yellow as best he could in Valspar paint. The paint color is a little off, and fills in nicely, but doesn't replace the obvious "textured look" that used to be there. It looks to me as though you could use a textured type paint of some sort to fill these areas in? Is that possible?? I have no idea how to fix this. There has to be a way to repair it. PLEASE HELP.

Old 08-15-11, 10:56 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I hate wallpaper and it sounds like you don't care for this stuff in the first place, why not remove it?

Old 08-15-11, 11:00 AM
S
We really hate it, but can't remove it, b/c we are renting the house for now, and the owner's wife just put it in. She thinks it's beautiful...ha

Old 08-15-11, 11:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Ugh.

In that case, I think I would get the landlord involved, the repairs are going to have to meet his approval so you may as well get him involved before you do anything he won't think is good enough.

Old 08-15-11, 11:23 AM
S
She knows that we scratched it, and doesn't mind us fixing it...we just don't know how to fix it.

Old 08-15-11, 03:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I didn't know you could still get grass cloth, it hasn't been popular for 30 yrs or more. Grass cloth is real easy to remove but I've never heard of anyone trying to repair it. Does the landlord have any leftover wallpaper from when she hung it?

Maybe a pic or two of the damage might help us help you - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-16-11, 06:51 AM
Repairing Grasscloth

I've read your post and the replies.
Hind sight is 20/20 but, in the future if you have things to move around those grasscloth-covered-areas, I recommend that you purchase a few painters sheet plastic packs and tape them to the ceiling at the wall and allow them to drop down over the wallcovering. This would protect the grasscloth from abrasions, I think...I have never had the experience.

Now, to the task at hand. You are probably fortunate to have low lighting in the stairwell and hallways which will benefit in this case since there is no way to get a perfect match. I would continue in the direction that you have started- with a paint match attempt. There is no way to get a "simulated grasscloth look" with paint or even wallpaper that isn't going to stick out like a sore thumb but, again, the lighting is probably in your favor to go back to the store and get another, closer match made up. Someone is going to have to have a good eye for color. It may pay to take the sample that you used for your first match attempt back to the store and tell them that you need something with (keep in mind your primary colors: red, blue, and yellow What are primary colors?
and keep in mind that gray or a spec of black will "tone down" any particular color.
Attempting to match the texture, again, will be futile. Considering your statement that the landlord installed it recently, she has taken this accident well. I wonder if landlords carry insurance that would allow a claim...just a thought. Since you just moved in, you aren't looking for another expense but the deductable might be palletible, if in fact a claim could be submitted.
I would stick with the touch up paint idea. Don't forget that Lowes and Home Depot both offer small "sample" portions of paint now. Use a Flat luster, only, since it will disburse the light better than egshell or semigloss.
Good luck. It's always something, isn't it?

Old 08-16-11, 06:59 AM
Grass cloth repair

Just noticed another post about grasscloths being out of vogue. Absolutely not so. I have installed LOTS in the past three years. It's all a matter of taste.
Some people hate wallcoverings (probably because of a bad experience in removal) but, MANY people still realize that nothing personalizes a home like the owners own choice of wallcovering. And there are wallcoverings, today, that are stunningly beautiful (and very expensive). Putting the run-of-the-mill prepasted vinyl aside, there are MANY, MANY quality, beautifyl wallcoverings that are simply eye-popping out there.
When wallcoverings properly chosen and the surfaces are properly prepped, your walls can give you many years of pleasureable personalization that paints can't even come close in comparison.
I have removed and installed wallcoverings AND painted, professionally for decades and that is my opinion. Does anyone have two cents?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: