Zinsser Gardz over joint compound?

Old 02-13-12, 06:45 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zinsser Gardz over joint compound?

Ive been experiencing a wallpaper removal dilemma in my kitchen. Obviously some people say your best bet it to teardown the drywall & put up new drywall but unfortunately in the kitchen thats not possible. So I removed the wallpaper using wallpaper removal solution, scorer, and scraper. Once removed I tried using Valspar high-hiding primer in a test area & certain spots it cracked, bubbled and just peeled right off. I kept adding joint compound & sanding to provide a new surface to the areas & re-primed untill the test area didnt peel anymore. Now before I tackled the rest I did some research & found that Zinsser Gardz is best for this situation. Unfortunately I had almost re-surfaced the remainder of the problem areas already with joint compound. So my question is can I apply the Zinsser Gardz over top of the joint compound or should I sand off all the joint compound & then apply the Gardz? One point had said that if I just apply the Gardz over the J/C it may cause it to swell....?
Thanks for any help.

Old 02-13-12, 09:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
One point had said that if I just apply the Gardz over the J/C it may cause it to swell..
I've never heard that

What Gardz does when removing wallpaper is to seal in any leftover wallpaper adhesive residue. That's likely why your primer cracked, bubbled and peeled. If all the adhesive has been dealt with there is no need to use the Gardz. I don't believe Gardz will harm the j/c but at this point it might be better to use a primer that will facilitate coverage of the finish coat of paint.

Old 02-13-12, 11:42 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
MARKSR:
Is there a primer you would recommend then? Well there are still some areas which need to be addressed, whether its J/C or the Gardz. As I mentioned the test area was painted with a Valspar Latex primer & it became a mess. Someone had mentioned to get oil-based so now I have KILZ interior oil-based primer for the next test spot I do.
Either way Id rather just run over the walls with the Gardz so that I know there wont be any peeling or bubbling issues later on down the road, just wasnt sure if it would have any adverse effects on the J/C.

Old 02-13-12, 03:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Gardz is a penetrating sealer, it's real good at locking in adhesives so they won't interfere with the top coat. I almost always use an oil base primer - that's what we had to use before Gardz came out. Apply Gardz or oil base Kilz over the areas with adhesive residue should seal it fine and shouldn't have any adverse affect on j/c. If the j/c isn't bonded to the wall - primer won't help it.

The way I normally prep previously wallpapered walls for paint [I'm retired now] is to physically remove as much of the adhesive as feasible. If I'm convinced I removed all the adhesive, I'll make any needed repairs, prime the repairs and then proceed with the finish paint. If I'm not convinced I removed all the adhesive I'll sand the wall and apply an oil base primer [gardz can be used instead] Normally I just fix the areas that need repair. I'll either make the repairs before priming or after - basically determined by a case by case basis [condition of the wall] Raw j/c should always be primed, I normally use a latex primer [usually SWP's Promar line] Obviously no extra primer is needed if the repairs were done first. I prefer to repair and then prime only once.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: