wallpaper

Old 01-16-01, 02:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I hung my wallpaper a year ago this summer. The huge problem is it's coming off the wall! I live in a new moblie home and used vinyl to vinyl paste and hung it right over my walls. I am not sure what kind of walls I have but the paper doesn't like them. My seams are also very noticable I did but the paper up 1/4" overlap but you can still notice, it looks terrible. I am about to redue my whole living room but the cost of paper is so high. I need to do this right. One other question: when I used my cutter against my trim and doorways the paper started to tear because the glue was wet so I couldn't get a perfect cut that is noticable also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much, Christie.

Old 01-16-01, 09:00 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Christie, VOV should have bonded the paper to what I'm sure is vinyl covered paneling or drywall. At any rate, strip the old off, prime with BITE PRIMER(found at most large home centers) or if shopping at Sherwin-Williams use R-35 to prime with and I assure you it won't come off again. On the cutter subject: Use nothing but Olfa blades. I can't say this LOUDLY enough online!!!!! I would rather have old rusty Olfa blades than anything else that can be bought.....Mike

Old 01-20-01, 11:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes I agree with MikejMerritt, the only thing I can think of is that the edges dried before you had a chance to lay it down completely, it happens sometimes.

I feel as if I am re-peating myself next, I just posted the next statement on another question so I will copy and paste it :
Yes a breakaway blade is a must, such as the Olfa. Also a straight edge to cut with, I use a 6 inch taping knife but you have to be very careful as they can damage the paper with little effort. The paint/wallpaper stores have the plastic straight edges for wallpaper, they serve 2 purposes, holding the paper down in place while you cut and as a guide for your knife.

Old 01-20-01, 08:00 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Christie, I was rereading your post and thought I would add if you are going to lap your paper(which I hate to see you do) you will have to treat the area that is lapped with border glue or VOV. Paper doesn't bond to itself. Try butting the paper seams next time. "Hang" in there, this new paper almost seams itself...Mike

Old 01-20-01, 11:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Oops, I missed that one myself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: