surface preparation

Old 01-21-01, 02:02 PM
Visiting Guest
what is the surface preparation if you are going to put prepasted wallpaper over pannelling?

Old 01-29-01, 10:34 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
bobconlo, I have been filling paneling to be painted and papered for more than 20 years now and except for the desperate home owner, who is informed of what I am about to say, I will not do these jobs. Paneling being made of wood and possibly covered with vinyl will expand and contract as time goes by and drywall compound, spackling and to some degree the shrink free fillers are not designed to tolerate this movement. Panel grooves when filled level will hairline crack on one side or the other of the groove as the paneling expands and when painted will show. The joints every four feet, even when taped with fibermesh or paper tape, may not crack but will ripple and buck up as movement occurs.
Don't get me wrong, there is a time to fill paneling and I would do my own(if I had any) to get the look I wanted in my home.
To fill paneling, prime with an oil based primer and fill with drywall compound. Spackling costs more, shrinks as much as mud and is MUCH harder to sand. Shrink free fillers DO shrink, though not as much and are almost imposssible to sand smooth. Rare is the job that doesn't take three if not four coats of filler to completely level the grooves. After final sanding prime again with the oil or R-35, BITE PRIMER or Zinsser Universal Wallpaper Primer....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: