wall paper liner over paneling-oil based or latex primer?

Old 08-16-12, 09:12 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wall paper liner over paneling-oil based or latex primer?

I removed wallpaper and found that there was paneling underneath covered by a thick paper? I want to paint. Should I use oil based or latex based primer to paint my walls? The wall paper liner is like thick paper and smooth.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-12, 09:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Too much work to take out the paneling and install drywall? Paneling is not the best surface for paint and I'm less certain with the 'paper' you mention on it.

Old 08-16-12, 10:30 AM
N
wall paper liner paint

Yes I cannot take out the paneling and put up drywall. Should I try to prime it and see how it does?

Old 08-16-12, 10:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
What is this paper and how well adhered is it?

Old 08-16-12, 05:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
If the liner is well adhered, you can use an oil base primer and then top coat with latex paint. The oil primer will seal the liner preventing any moisture in the latex paint from seeping thru the liner and dissolving the adhesive.

Removing the paneling, updating any electrical and/or insulation and installing drywall would be best but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

Old 08-19-12, 05:04 AM
If you want to take a chance on the liner paper (the thick, smooth stuff) adhering to the paneling when it gets wet with latex paint, I say," Go for it." I know that the PROPER way to tackle this would be to use an oil based primer because, If you ad just a half an ounce of lacquer thinner to the gallon oil based primer, it will think it down a little and perhaps provide a little bit more "penetrating" quality to the oil based primer. HOWEVER, having used Latex paint over TWO day old liner paper install, I can tell you that you should not have a problem with the liner paper coming lose. It may swell up and air bubble a little, here and there. But, as it dries, most if not all of the bubbles will disappear as the liner paper will "shrink as it dries" after "swelling or bubbling as it gets wet with the latex paint. Put a fan on it as soon as you finish applying the Gardz LATEX primer. I would use Zinsser GARDZ to primer with since it has BETTER penetrating qualities than most oil based primers. But, there are some peculiarities or "qualities" that Gardz has. Apply the Zinsser Gardz with a 3/8" nap WIZZ 9' roller cover Lowes has them. Gardz is "thinner than water" and, if you use a regular roller cover instead ofa Microfiber cover, it will "run off the cover as you apply it." Gardz is "splattery" and has no viscosity and, if you're not VERY careful with it

Old 08-19-12, 06:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
It may swell up and air bubble a little, here and there
The problem is although the paper might lay back down - those areas aren't bonded to the wall!

Old 08-20-12, 12:22 PM
If there aren't very many areas that bubble, as I mentioned in my previous post, those areas can be addressed with a breakoff blade knife, a brush with some wallpaper paste, and,if necessary another small touch up with some vinyl spackle before the finish coats. One way of determining whether or not bubble are going to appear could be to take the extra step of rolling on some plain water over the wallpaper liner and then watch it for two hours and see if it bubbles or comes loose. This isn't rocket science. My method may not be "orthodox" but, I am going from my own experience. Not all paperhangers know what there doing. But, if it can be determined that the liner paper was hung HORIZONTALLY as it is designed to be hung, that would indicate to me that there is a good chance that it was hung with the right adhesive and WILL stay on the wall when painted. If the paper "lays back down," even though adhesion might be compromised in some areas, so what? It will look good and last a long time.