wallpaper over cheescloth

Old 01-25-01, 06:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Have an opportunity to paper an old house with rough wood, solid walls with cheescloth covering them. Old fashioned way to do old houses, I think. House was last papered about 30 years ago and has held up well. Cheescloth is in good shape.
Do I use special paper or special glue? How much glue do I use? Is paper shrinkage affected by cheesecloth backing? Are there any special precautions I should take? Thank you.

Old 01-26-01, 01:30 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Deborah_M, It is unclear to me if you are going to paper over the existing paper or over the "cheesecloth" or muslin as we call it in the south. If over the cheesecloth a thick mix of most any paste will hang it nicely. Note that paper does shrink over this material and lapping is recommended. This doesn't look the best but paper will shrink and this doesn't look well either. If hanging over paper prime with BITE PRIMER or R-35 and hang in a normal manner...Mike

Old 01-28-01, 08:06 PM
Visiting Guest
wallpaper over cheescloth reply

Dear Mike J,
Thanks for your reply. Thank you for your help. I will be hanging directly over the cheescloth. The old paper is peeling off nicely. I will pay extra attention to shrinking and overlapping. Again thanks for your help.
Deborah_M

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: