wallpaper question

Old 04-09-13, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wallpaper question

We've finally decided to remove the wallpaper from the plaster walls in our hallway. We've removed wallpaper before, but this paper seems different. The other wallpaper was thin and peeled off easily. This wall paper is thick, textured (e.g., you can feel the flowers on the wallpaper with your fingers), and has been on the walls for a longer period of time.

Additionally, the last time we pulled off wallpaper there wasn't any glue etc. beneath; we were able to just pull it down and then paint. Beneath this wallpaper, however, is a fine and gritty/sandy feeling substance. Based on pulling up some corners elsewhere, it looks like most of the walls are a mix of the gritty green stuff you see in pic 2 + some sort of white paper + the paint below it all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11300[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11301[/ATTACH]

I guess it's easiest to break down my questions in stages:
1 - How should I peel it off? (just pull it down?...)
2 - How should I remove the leftover gunk? a product or a mixture with a scrub brush?...)
3 - Is there anything that I need to do to prepare the wall for paint?

We're not sure yet if all of the walls will look this like underneath, or if it's just this area right outside of the bathroom because of all of the moisture in the air. Because of the unusual thickness and texture, we're unsure if many of the techniques we've found online are applicable to our case.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-13, 04:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Stripping wallpaper is never fun although on rare occasions you get lucky. What you have is called an embossed paper but all wallpaper more or less comes off the same. The adhesive is for the most part, water soluble. If the face of the paper pulls off ok, I'd do that and then either use a sponge or pump up garden sprayer to get the rest wet [be sure to protect the floor] You then use a wide putty knife to scrape off the paper's backing and adhesive. When the wallpaper won't come off, cut thru the paper with either a utility knife [try not to cut too deep] or a cutting 'wheel' sold anywhere wallpaper is sold. It has a predetermined depth with multiple knives so you won't damage the drywall/plaster underneath.

If you can't remove all the adhesive you need to coat the wall with either an oil base primer or Zinnser's Gardz. This is also needed if the face paper of drywall is torn/missing. Once the primer is dry, repair any wall damage [if any] sand lightly and it's ready for paint.

Old 04-10-13, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks!

Thanks for your advice! I just started the project tonight. I'm already unsure about some things, though.

The first wall turned out well. The first layer peeled off easily and there were VERY few spots of paper that needed to be attended to (and what beautiful colors the walls used to be painted! haha).

Here's before:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11338[/ATTACH]

After:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11339[/ATTACH]

Then came the second wall. Although 1/3 the size of the first, I've already spent twice as much time on it and still not close to finishing. The first layer was much more difficult to pull off, and there seems to be several layers below (whereas the first wall only appeared to have 2). It's like the paper backing is coming off in layers instead of as a whole. I've reapplied removal solution 3 times and I still haven't made it plaster beneath (except the green/brown area at the top right).

Here's before:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11340[/ATTACH]

After:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11341[/ATTACH]

Do you think it would be in my best interest to invest in a steamer?? Or any other tips? I'm going to move on to a different part of the hall tomorrow and see how it is. Both of these sections are right outside of the bathroom, so the unusually high moisture in the air may make them atypical.

note: I also have been using a wallpaper scorer ("cutting wheel"), scraper, and knife.

Attached Images     

Last edited by jg 368 48; 04-10-13 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-11-13, 05:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
I've never been convinced that a steamer or any paper stripping solutions [commercial or homemade] help. The key to removing wallpaper is to get the adhesive wet!! Your cutting wheel helps. Usually high moisture areas make it easier to remove the paper but a lot may have to do with how the walls were prepped and the type of adhesive used. Wallpaper bonds better to the wall when a separate adhesive is used rather than relying on prepasted paper.

Elbow grease and patience are 2 of the main ingredients for stripping paper. You likely run low on both before you get done