Can I mix semi-gloss with a little primer?

Old 06-11-13, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I mix semi-gloss with a little primer?

Hello -

I have a gallon of semi-gloss that I would rather not use on a bedroom ceiling because of the shine. Can I mix a little primer with it to cut down on the glossiness? Maybe a 4 to 1 ratio?

I guess I'm being cheap....I could get a gallon of satin, but am trying to save $$.

Thank you so much! I love this forum...such nice people. Maybe I can help someone someday

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-13, 09:38 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
In a word, no. Primer has a different set of properties from finish paint and they are not compatible. If you had some flat finish paint you could mix it with the semi gloss IF they were both from the same manufacturer, maybe if they were from different manufacturers.

Today's paint is so different from paint of fifty years ago that intermixing of finishes, types and manufacturers is really a crap shoot. It used to be that paint was paint, with very minor differences in formulation among the different brands. Not true any more.

Old 06-12-13, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
It would be better to buy a quart of flat paint and mix it thoroughly with your semi-gloss. I wouldn't be scared of intermixing brands but you do need to make sure the base is the same.... latex-latex, waterborne- waterborne, alkyd-alkyd.

Old 06-12-13, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you again!

I've definitely learned the hard way to not take any shortcuts, so I'll buy a quart of flat.

Thank you so much!