Stripping Wallpaper off unprimed Drywall

Old 02-20-01, 04:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

HELP! I need to strip wallpaper from my kitchen, that was wallpaper by the previous owners. They did NOT prime the drywall, and just papered over it. Whats the best way to do this, without damaging the drywall underneath? I plan on repapering and painting.

Old 02-20-01, 06:47 PM
wepaper
Visiting Guest
stripping

Tris, There are several conditions that you need to determine. First, does the front layer of wallcovering strip leaving the backing(paper) on the wall. If so, then strip all the front off. If the backing won't strip with DIF stripper and/or HOT water, then you call this the "wall". Treat this as you would any wall, sand, prime, and paint. If none of the wallpaper strips, front or back, then this is your wall. Sand, prime, and paint or hang paper over the primed surface. Keep one thing in mind, sometime primer will strip wallcovering when all else fails, so if you see bubbles when you prime, you'll know it's strippable.

Old 02-21-01, 06:31 AM
Visiting Guest
I have done this, it is tedious, time consuming and frustrating (I know you wanted to hear that!) What I do is wet the paper, keeping it wet for a couple hours, do not let it dry at all and it will start to soak through (if it is not a vinyl), DIF helps somewhat. The paper tiger in this situation only made the paper more fragile and tore easier, also if you are going to paint, the paper tiger leaves little pinholes in the wall and will need to be skimed to hide all the pinholes. Leaving the paper wet for a couple hours is what worked for me.

If the paper is too well adhered to the sheetrock you may want to take wepaper's advise and paint over it, to help keep the primer from loosening the paste, use an oil based primer such as kilz to seal the paper prior to painting.

Old 02-21-01, 01:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your advice Chip! It was greatly appreciated. A couple more questions though. Won't water soften the unprimed drywall and ruin it? Because it was NOT primed before papering, I'm assuming the drywall might cave in easily, etc.

Old 02-21-01, 08:24 PM
Visiting Guest
No your drywall won't cave in As soon as the paste soaks in the water it should start letting loose of the drywall, don't put so much water on that it forms large puddles on the floor, that may damage the lower part of the rock, use a sponge to keep the wallpaper moist and if you notice that the paste under the paper is wet and it still does not let loose then they must have used something other than the conventional wallpaper paste.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: