Flat wallpaer over embossed

Old 10-08-13, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flat wallpaer over embossed

Here's my query, is it possible to put a flat wallpaper on top of an embossed wallpaper?

The flat wallpaper is a fine birch tree pattern and I wondered if it would look more realistic with a bit of depth or must I strip the current wallpaper?

Last edited by Shadeladie; 10-08-13 at 07:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-13, 05:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forums Janis!

I've not hung a lot of paper and I'm not sure if we have any pro paper hangers that frequent the forums

That said, I'd be concerned that the embossed part of the existing paper would telegraph thru the new paper. You are also relying on the adhesive for the existing paper to also hold the new paper tight. IMO you are better off stripping off the old paper, prepping the walls and then hanging the new paper.

Old 10-08-13, 07:00 AM
Cheers, I've done this already with brick wallpaper but it wasn't flat and it worked ok, I agree it might be better but I might give it a go with one strip let it dry and see how it fairs! X

Old 10-09-13, 08:59 AM
hanging paper over paper

Absolutely not.

It will look like the most uneven-surface nightmare that you could imagine. The new layer of wallcovering may wet and disolve the adhesive under the first (older) wallcovering and cause serious areas of no adhesion, anymore, and it will be noticable. Why not simply remove it? Are you concerned about the task? It is easier than you think that it might be to remove it. The extra time spent in removal will provide you with years of heightened enjoyment as you admire you new paper the way it should look.

Would you guess that what is up could be described as: (1 or 2?)
1)a paper with a light poly coating to protect against soil and fading
2)a solid vinyl with a paper backing

I can walk you through the procedure. I may have even posted "how to", before. I don't have time to search among my posts at the moment but, I'll attempt return, later today, and post what you need to know, if you have never removed before OR had problems in the past.

Was the current wallcovering hung by a pro?
Do you know if he/she applied a "pre-wallcovering" primer/sealer to the wall before installation?

This will have made the removal about 500 times easier.

I'll get back...

Last edited by papernpaste; 10-09-13 at 09:03 AM. Reason: additional comments needed