wallpaper paste on freshly painted walls, how do the pro's do it?

Old 10-09-13, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question wallpaper paste on freshly painted walls, how do the pro's do it?

Ok, decided on a feature paper and contrasting paint.

Sized the feature walls and painted the opposing walls.

Now, when hanging the paper, inevitably, when getting into the corner cuts, wallpaper paste has then gotten on to the freshly painted walls. Once i have hung and cut the paper, i immediatley washed the wall off.

Now overnight it has dried but looks a right mess in the corners of the room.

How do the professionals manage this? I have re painted part of it, but where it has been wiped it looks a smooth texture against the rollered texture on the rest of the wall.

Cant figure out the best thing to do next?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom people ;-)

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-13, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
It's difficult to remove all the wallpaper adhesive, you need to wipe, rinse and wipe again. I've touched up behind a lot of pro paper hangers and very seldom do they get it all

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the texture difference Has the wallpaper paste filled in the texture? or is the touch up with a brush showing a different texture than the roller? or something else?

Old 10-09-13, 08:08 PM
purchase some painters sheet plastic and cut a two foot wide strip of plastic that is 2' wide and lay it aside. Run a length of tape, preferably a low-tack or "for delicate surfaces" 1 wide tape carefully down the edge and on top of your new wall covering in the corner where it meets your painted wall. When you do this carefully over lap the PAINTED surface on the corner where they meet JUST ENOUGH to barely notice the tape's overlapping effect on the painted wall. This should amount to about a 1/32 -to- 1/16 of an inch onto the painted side of the corner while at the same time most of the 1" wide tape is sticking to the wall cover. Now, take the sheet plastic that you cut and tape it down the wallcovering side of the corner, attaching 1-2" pieces of tape TO THE TAPE THAT YOU PREVIOUSLY MASKED OFF THE WALLCOVERING WITH. Tape the sheet to the previous vertical take every foot or so and on both ends of the 2' width at the top. This will keep it in place.

Then, use your roller cover to paint the corner, allowing the edge of the roller cover to scrape right up to the masked off wallcovering. This will provide you that same rolled-on "stipple" and eliminate brush strokes which I think you are describing.

When it has dried, carefull remove the sheet plastic and tape.

Old 10-15-13, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys.

By texture i meant a rolled matt paint texture that i had wiped so much it was now smooth lol.

I did as you both described wiping and using sheeting and its worked. Ok if I'm picky i can see it up close but only bcus i know its there. Just need to repaint the ceiling edges now. Not been done 2 months so dont want to do whole ceiling again.

Thanks guys. Great help ;-)