Wallpaper glue lines showing through paint coat- what to do?

Old 02-04-14, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wallpaper glue lines showing through paint coat- what to do?

I'm repainting a small bathroom, where wallpaper has been removed, as well as most of the visible glue...I was not involved in that stage of prep, but as a painter, I had done some initial spot-spackling/sanding of various imperfections to the walls, plus some general scouring of the walls with a medium grit sanding sponge...The wall at this point had appeared flat, smooth and paint-ready...HOWEVER- as a I started to roll paint on, I noticed a gradual surfacing of the original veins of glue as the paint saturated it...NOW- I've left half of the walls unpainted to properly spray and scrub them clean with wallpaper glue remover...BUT- is there any way to 'salvage' the already painted surfaces, and get them to look reasonably smooth (if not 'perfect')? I have so far gone back to sand this bad 'relief effect' of glue/paint, in the hopes that I can repaint some coats over it, or maybe prime first and repaint(?) Any suggestions here? I'm testing some small areas but I'm worried that in certain lighting conditions the effect will persist...HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-14, 07:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It's a little hard to say for sure sight unseen. I'd sand and then evaluate the wall. Another coat of primer and/or paint might be enough. Worse case scenario would be to apply an ultra thin skim coat of j/c over the entire wall.

Whenever all the wallpaper adhesive can't be removed it's best to coat the wall with either an oil base primer or Zinnser's Gardz.

Old 02-04-14, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking I figured it out!

Thanks for hitting me back on that...Before reading this reply, I managed to figure out a similar strategy- so your tips confirmed some gut decisions to be pretty sound...I sanded the relief effect flat and smooth on the coated walls, and applied some Zinser BIN Primer that I had laying around...that looked nice and smooth and uniform, so I tested a little patch of the BIN on the uncoated wall...I had a good feeling about it as it also seemed to work and create a sealed, smooth matte surface...Problem solved...Back on track with this job! Thanks again
-Thomas