Washing off wallpaper glue

Old 02-13-14, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing off wallpaper glue

I have stripped the wall covering and have used steam to remove the backing over sized walls. What is left is a LOT of paste, paper bits and flacking/peeling sizing. When I try to wash of the residual paste and paper bits, it just seems to do so much harm to the dry wall. What can I do?? Was thinking of washing down lightly, removing what I can, and then sanding lightly before sealing with Guardz. Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-14, 08:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Are you getting the drywall too wet when trying to wash off the adhesive ??

Your plan sounds good. It's best to wash it all off but when that isn't feasible, letting the wall dry, sanding lightly and then coating with either Gardz or an oil base primer is the normal procedure.

Old 02-13-14, 11:15 AM
Thanks. I may be getting it too wet or scrubbing too hard. It is really difficult to get off.

Old 02-13-14, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Stripping wallpaper is very seldom any fun

Old 03-07-14, 06:19 PM
Remove wallpaper glue before painting?

I'm trying to work on this as well and I'm having a real problem getting the surface clean enough to paint.

First I scrapped the wallpaper off, leaving only a little of the backing and the glue. Just FYI, I have a number of chisels that I bought from a tool disposal company at the local wood show and I use those to scape with (I use the 1 1/2 the most) and I sharpen them up with a Tormak so they are about as sharp as you can get and I find them much easier to use than those wallpaper scrapers they sell at home depo. Once the wall paper's off I used that DIFF stuff to treat and scrap off the little of the backing and some of the paste. The problem is that it still feels like there's paste that won't come off. I've tried using another coat of DIFF; I read water, distilled white vinegar and a little dish detergent will help remove the remaining paste but after using that and scraping again the surface still feels tacky and even after some sanding it still feels a little tacky.

Is there any other way to clean the surface before painting? I really don't want to paint and then have it peel off after a couple years.

- Norm

Old 03-08-14, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Norm!

Sometimes the adhesive just doesn't want to come off. That's why unless you're convinced it's all been removed it's best to let it dry, sand the wall and then apply a coat of oil base primer or Zinnser's Gardz. The primer will lock down and seal any remaining adhesive. Latex primers don't work well for this.