ceiling tiles

Old 02-14-14, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling tiles

i was wondering if ceiling tiles can be used on a bedroom wall.
the wall itself is very cold and i would like to warm the wall up by putting tiles on the wall.would there be any set backs to doing this

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-14, 01:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 154 Votes on 137 Posts
I've painted room or two before that had the acoustic tiles glued [?] to the wall. It was done for sound not insulation but I guess it would work.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 02-14-14, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Dunno what the insulation value of those tiles are...but can't imagine it's very high. That's assuming you are talking about the old school interlocking tiles that are stapled up.

Old 02-16-14, 03:39 PM
hay gunguy thanks for your reply.. its not the old school ones.the ones i want to use are the polystyrene ones.

Old 02-16-14, 03:42 PM
marksr thank you very much for that.no defo dont want it for sound just to make the wall a little warmer.on the other side of the wall are stairs which lead to the outside.the stairwell gets very cold hence it having a cold wall in the bedroom.

Old 02-16-14, 07:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not going to do a thing to make it warmer.
Is there any insulation in the wall?

Old 02-17-14, 06:50 AM
But, what about the porosity?

There isn't much R value in that type of ceiling tile. IMO, you won't get the results that you seek.

I would be more concerned about the long-term mold concerns than anything else.

I would have to seal the surface with Zinsser Gardz <advantage= water cleanup> which might be more effectively applied BEFORE the tiles go on the wall since Gardz is so runny. You would have to drop off your area with an old drop cloth bc, once Gardz cures, you can't get it off or sand that surface. If you have a garage, I would lay a cheap throw-away drop on the floor and roll Gardz on the tiles that way. Once the tiles are up, I would two or three-coat the finish paint to maximize the sealing of the tile surface and, even then, I would be a bit nervous about mold growing on the surface over time. All of the little crevasses and holes in the surface of the tile are breeding grounds for mold, not to mention the interlock points. That's why you don't see this done, too often.

I don't have an alternate suggestion to remedy the cold walls aside from blowing insulation into them which isn't very cost effective.

Good luck.