Vinyl Wall Decals - love or hate?

Old 02-24-14, 12:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Vinyl Wall Decals - love or hate?

Hi all!
I'm renting a new apartment & I really want to decorate it to make it feel more personalized and homey. Right now my walls are blank & bland (off-white, how original). I'm not allowed to paint them or put nail holes in, so a friend suggested I get some wall decals to decorate with.

Does anyone have any advice on whether this is a good idea or not? Do they work well? Are they tacky or a good design choice? Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Gunguy45; 02-24-14 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Removed possible advertising
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-14, 02:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If I saw one of my renters do that the next thing they got in the mail would be an eviction notice.

Old 02-24-14, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
I would try in an out of sight area first to make sure the decals come off. In my rental houses though there are few things that get me as mad as stickers on the walls.

Old 02-24-14, 04:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
A lot may depend on the paint on the walls. They might be problematic on thirsty walls but walls with several layers of good paint might be ok. If you can't remove them without damaging the wall or paint - your landlord won't be happy!

Old 02-24-14, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
Wall decals are no different than wallpaper and aren't something you would be authorized to install in a rental unit. Removing them can often ruin the paint and wall finish and cost 100's of $$$ to repair.
I banned my wife from putting wallpaper up and she put a border up anyway. In the bathroom, no less.
After that argument, she put up vinyl decals.

We get along just fine.

Old 02-25-14, 04:18 AM
Anticipating 'decal' Removal

Almost all decals have a "self-stick" adhesive backing. When removing them, if a heat source (like a hair dryer) is used to heat the decal and adhesive before a removal attempt, they usually are much easier to remove than simply attempting to remove them when the sticker is a room temperature.
I do however agree that the "luster" of the paint on the wall has much to do with the ease with which they remove. If the "luster" is "flat," they are somewhat more difficult to remove than if the luster is higher (like an eggshell luster or semi-gloss luster).
If the landlord says, "No", it's his/her property and the best policy is obedience.

Old 03-16-14, 09:12 PM
Talking Moveable, Non-Permanent Custom Wall Decals

If you buy custom made-to-order wall decals rather than the pre-made type you can determine the type/strength of sticky backing as well as the wording, font, colour and size. Order the non-permanent moveable decals which leave hardly any noticeable sticky residue (if any residue it is easily removed with a little baby-oil on a soft cloth so in hindsight you could use any decal and remove sticky residue with baby-oil or plain furniture polish left for 3 minutes then wiped using soft damp cloth) and both you and your landlord will be happy. The custom decals are not as expensive as you might think and can be ordered from various ebay decal sellers and shops...just look for the best priced custom decals rather than opting for the first you find to avoid disappointment when you find the same item cheaper elsewhere. Enjoy!