Covering Laminate Wall Pannels

Old 02-27-14, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Covering Laminate Wall Pannels

We are moving into our new home soon and I want to do something with the ugly laminate wood panels that cover all of the walls throughout the home. Eventually I plan to remove them but as of now we have limited time and limited funds.

Could we just skim coat over them for now? I know this is not a perfect solution but right now I need a quick cheap solution. I've read that as long as you clean and prime the laminate properly you can paint over it. Well, these panels have millions of tiny "holes" that are either meant to look more natural or it was just really cheap paneling.

If I clean and prime properly would a skim coat stick to the laminate panels? And could we just paint over the skim coat as if it were drywall? I am only interested in doing this in our main living and formal dining areas. Would it work??

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Name:  Holes in Paneling.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  15.2 KB

Last edited by 1STimer; 02-27-14 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Adding a Photo
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-14, 09:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 279 Posts
There are several different types of panels that you might call "laminate". Whatever type you have I would not try a skim coat of any type. I would just thoroughly clean the walls to remove any dirt, dust and nicotine. Prime with an oil based stain blocking primer like Kilz then top coat with the paint color of your choice.

Old 02-27-14, 10:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 141 Posts
The only type of skim coat I'd feel good about would be an ultra thin coat, mostly to fill the holes with the majority of it being sanded off leaving the j/c only in the holes.
Pics might help with other suggestions - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 02-27-14, 11:36 AM
Thank you! Please see updated post for a photo of all of the holes. They are only in the Living, Dining and Staircase areas (the only ones I want to skim coat and paint) What do you think??

Old 02-27-14, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 279 Posts
I'd still just paint the walls. When I first moved back to NC I lived in a cute cottage on a lake. Everything from the 50's and 60's with dark wood paneling in every room. A coat of white paint totally changed the feel of the place giving it a much more modern, clean and bright appearance. The vertical lines of the paneling were still visible but really did not detract, and a coat of paint is the cheapest option.

Old 02-27-14, 01:52 PM
Thanks a bunch Pilot Dane. I am definitely going to paint either way, you don't think it would look silly with the holes? Will the paint/primer make the holes less dark? I've never painted over holes like this, I've always spackled over holes but that's not an option with all of them here...

Old 02-27-14, 02:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 141 Posts
Are they holes or indentation? If the latter, they will look fine providing you apply enough paint [don't dry roll or dry brush]