Easy way to remove wallpaper?

Old 03-04-14, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Easy way to remove wallpaper?

We just purchased this house and the one room has these stupid green squares wallpapered on it. My wife and I tried this wallpaper remover gel and it came off in tiny pieces. We literally wasted an hour on one square and still didn't get it all. Any faster way to remove these so we can paint?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-14, 09:41 AM
I have had good luck with just spraying with hot water and let set for a few min. Should scrape off easier.The gel remover does not do much.

Old 03-04-14, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Votes on 140 Posts
Easy way to remove wallpaper - make someone else do it!!

If you score the paper with a utility knife it will allow the water to get to the adhesive better. They sell a 'wheel' with blades set at the correct depth which makes that task easier.

Old 03-04-14, 01:39 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
There is no "easy" way to remove wallpaper, just some ways that are less difficult. A lot depends on the type of wallpaper. If it is a "washable" vinyl surface then it will be difficult no matter what you do. If it was a "peel and stick" type it will be very difficult. If it is a vinyl then scoring with a "paper tiger" (brand name?) tool will help slightly but you had just better prepare yourself that it is going to be a slow process.

IF, however, you have old fashioned paper that had no water-activated adhesive but instead used the old fashioned wheat paste then a steamer would be the best answer. A wallpaper steamer can be rented for a nominal sum but it also makes a huge mess. Not a big deal since ANY wallpaper removal process makes a big mess.

Some vinyl papers are stated to be "strippable" meaning that IF you can get up one corner of the top layer it will "strip" right off of the lower layers. My experience has been that IF you can get it started it will tear anything from a fairly long strip to a piece of less than one square inch before breaking loose. More likely as not it will damage the underlying paper and you will STILL need to remove the entire layer of paper.

Old 03-08-14, 04:59 AM
Sometimes, it is difficult to know what method to use to remove
wallcovering
without some "trial-and-error."
There is a little hand-held tool available in wallcovering/paint departments called a "paper tiger." It has little, toothed metal wheels on the underside that poke holes in the paper so that removal solution can penetrate and attack the adhesion.
Try one of them, first, applying the solution, again, after perforating the surface. If that doesn't work, buy a cheap 9x12 sheet plastic (painters plastic). Get the thin stuff, not the thicker variety. Cut a 4' wide section off of the plastic and, after you have sprayed the surface on the wall (work with a two-strip-wide section of wall), lay the 4' wide sheet plastic over the wet wall and let it sit for five minutes. The plastic sheet provides that the removal solution won't evaporate. After five minutes, remove the whole wet sheet, spray again, and re-apply the sheet to the wet wall to give it another five minutes of soak time. Purchase a 4" wide wall scrapper that has a fifteen inch handle and a replaceable blade. First, try to peel up the wet wallcovering, starting at the seam, and score a slice into a vertical seam and all of the way across the strip of paper to the next seam. (Don't go so deeply that you score the wallboard.)and then begin to peal, working on an angle, and slowly peel away for the wall, putting as little stress on the the section as you peel as possible. Once this is done, go back over the wall with solution to dissolve any residual paste. Once it is cleaned and dried and all bits and pieces residual paste have been removed, apply a latex primer like Zinsser Gardz that will penetrate and encapsulate the wall surface and you'll be ready to finish coat with paint.

Old 03-08-14, 05:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most any oil base primer or Gardz is suitable for as a primer for sealing both exposed gypsum and wallpaper adhesive. As far as I know there are no latex primers other than Gardz that will do a good job.

Old 03-08-14, 02:52 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Sometimes paper is unidirectional in that it tears in little pieces if you pull from left to right, but strips in larger pieces if you go from right to left. Have a water bottle handy with warm water in it. Put your ear buds in and listen you your favorite playlist. Pick as much as you can from the edge. Use a 3" stiff putty blade to get a ridge started an pull off what you can. Spritz the exposed area with water and let soak. While soaking move on to square number 2. Repeat. Return to square one and scrape with putty knife. The wet stuff should come off easily. Rip paper to expose more, lather rinse and repeat.......

Can be very frustrating, but cursing the wall will not help. Instead, make light of it and relish in the thought of the new room you will have after the project is complete.

Old 03-09-14, 06:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
cursing the wall will not help
Might not help but seems to be part of the paper removal process

Most folks like wallpaper until they have to strip it!

Old 03-16-14, 09:24 PM
Red face Hand held steamer

I have an inexpensive (less than 35) hand-held steam cleaner which worked a treat when I used it to strip the kitchen tiled wallpaper in my previous home. The manufacturer did not specify that it would do the job but I couldn't see why it wouldn't so gave it a try before looking for an alternative stripper. The good thing about using a hand-held steam cleaner is that it is relativbely cheap and more obviously that it can be used all round the home to clean almost every hard surface like windows, oven, grill, bathroom tiles, mirrors and even removes the creases from curtains whilst hanging-up so it definitely pays for itself really quick.
Personally though I would keep the green squares...I LOVE EM!