Wallpapering pepapered gyproc

Old 03-07-14, 10:45 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wallpapering pepapered gyproc

I have a bathroom wall that is pre papered with Vinyl paper that cannot be removed. Is there a way of sizing this vinyl so I can paper over it.? What kind of sizing or coating would I need. Also there are strips covering the joints in the gyproc sheets these will have to be removed can I simply use poyfilla to fill these gaps. Thanks

Old 03-07-14, 11:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Is this a mobile home with prefinished drywall? If so, you can hang wallpaper over it. You can either glue strips of wallpaper to the joint strips or remove them, fill the gap and pray the filler doesn't fall out.

Old 03-07-14, 03:53 PM
I
Thanks marksr the prefinished drywall is a vinyl finish and in a bathroom, will ordinary pre glued vinyl wallpaper do the job. Also because the wallpaper is usually 30inches wide and the drywall is 48 there would be an overlap so I would remove the joint strips and use a filler any ideas on what kind of filler? Thanks.

Old 03-08-14, 04:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While I've been in the painting trade all my life, I've not hung much paper. All the paper hangers I've worked with always paste their paper including the prepasted paper. You could use joint compound to fill the gaps. Generally it's best to use drywall paper along with the j/c but the wallpaper might do ok without it. I'd probably use a setting compound like Durabond.

Old 03-08-14, 07:30 AM
I
Thanks marksr I will try durabond.I have never heard of pasting over pasted paper .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: