String Cloth Wallpaper Removal

Old 04-25-14, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
String Cloth Wallpaper Removal

I need advice on how to remove 'string cloth wallpaper,' which covers a living room and a dining room in an old 1930's era house. The strings look like a thicker cotton or linen thread and run vertically from the ceiling to the floor, so about 10' in length. The longest wall is 16' wide. I have never seen anything like it. I can't tell if the surface in which the strings are embedded is paper or cloth, but I suspect it is cloth. I have a lot of experience removing regular wallpaper, but in this case, it does not seem like it would be wise to score it, and it would be very difficult to scrape. I would prefer not to steam it, so I would like suggestions or inside knowledge that does not disclude other options, though, I know it the end, this may be one answer. Thank you!

Name:  LR.WallpaperDetail.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  28.6 KBName:  LR.WallpaperDetail.Strings.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  24.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-14, 04:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 151 Votes on 134 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It's probably 'grass cloth' it was fairly popular back in the 70's IMO it is one of the easier wallpapers to strip. Take a broad knife and get under it so you can peel it off of the wall. Often it will separate from the backing but once the grass cloth is removed all you have to do is get the backing off is wet it and scrape.

If you can't remove all the wallpaper adhesive you need to coat the walls with either an oil base primer or Zinnser's Gardz before applying any paint.

Old 04-26-14, 05:42 AM
It IS string cloth and marksr is correct- It's a piece of cake to remove. The string will separate from the paper backing during the removal which will make for a mess but, It is much easier than it appears. Also search "removal and prep for paint," here.

Old 04-26-14, 06:07 PM
Thank you! I really appreciate everyone's advice. I'm happy to learn it is not the nightmare I was anticipating!