paste removal

Old 03-23-01, 08:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Please help! I also hung dark heavy vinyl paper, doubled cut seams, where the paste was reappearing. I used a soft brush with a product for paste removal off vinyl paper, and it still reappeared. I tested dif full strength, rinsed with clear water on a few spots and they don't seem to be coming back. I know there has to be a right way for paste removal, as I don't want to use dif all over the paper. I'am not too afraid of the paper coming down, it seems to be bullet-proof after all the scrubbing! Does anyone have a solution? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-01, 04:49 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
rgrsndy, I will paste the reply below here because I think it will apply.... Sure hate to hear about the glue stains. You have come across something that happens very seldom but if using clear adhesives you can look for this from time to time when using it on solid vinyl. The ultra clears cause trouble more than the milky clear. You didn't say whether the stains are shiny or dull and either can happen and at this point I doubt anything will scrub the problem away. We have a Gen Corp, now Omnova Solutions, in our town that make this commercial vinyl and they have some returns from time to time with this problem and they call us in to see what may have happened and attempt to find a fix. The first thing we try is a paste remover not paper stripper. If this fails the only other thing that has ever helped is washing down with ammonia. If what you are seeing is truly on the paper one of these two should get it off. What we find most of the time is the paste has altered the face of the vinyl, either shiny or dull, and there is only one fix that will sometimes get you by. Try Armour All Vinyl Protectant. This will help to restore the face of the material but be advised that about half of the time this will have to be done from time to time to maintain the fix. Also, if the material is matte finish the protectant will cause it to appear a bit shiny for a while but working it in with a dry towel helps. Although all paste companies claim their clear glue will hang solid vinyl I never use anything but clay based adhesives and have never had it to damage or stain material. Hope some of this helps and good luck....Do drop back in and let us know how it goes....Mike