Wallpaper

Old 05-03-01, 04:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am going to try walpapering for the first time ever! I would like to use a border and have a chair rail effect.

Q.1 - Do you paper the wall first then paste the border on the wallpaper, or, do you leave a gap or enough room for the border to be pasted on the bare wall after the major wallpapering is completed?

Q.2 I hope I got it right when I say "chair rail effect". basically it is having a different wallpaper from about the height of the armchair...(I think)...My question is - can I get a wallpaper that provides this effect or do I have to get a separate lot?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-01, 03:58 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
annajane, Thanx for dropping in! Q.1- The insructions will always say to hang border over paper and then split it at the top and/or the bottom leaving the border on the wall only. This is for pros only! I have been at this 20 years and I don't do it this way. I hang the above and below paper 4 or 5 sheets at a time lapping them a couple of inches and splitting through both and remove the piece under and the piece over. This makes a perfect surface between the two. Hang border with vinyl over vinyl.
Q.2- I don't really understand this question. Most above and below paper jobs are two different papers but is not a must. Get back if I am not on the same page with you...Mike