Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wallpapering over backing paper primed w/oil-based sealer?

CT

08-12-17, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Wallpapering over backing paper primed w/oil-based sealer?

Is my plan sound?

My master bath is papered with a vinyl-coated wallpaper. The vinyl layer peels off very easily. Underneath is a firmly attached backing paper which is pasted onto a painted, sized Sheetrock wall.

I'm in my 60s and not as physical as I once was. To avoid the very time-consuming, extremely messy and physically-demanding task of wetting and scraping off all that backing paper, I've considered fixing any loose areas and seam areas with compound and then sealing everything with oil-based Kilz sealer - oil-based so it won't soak into and dissolve the old water-based adhesive behind the backing.

The backing paper is firmly in place. The bath has a ventilation fan. I want to cover the walls with a paintable, strippable textured wallpaper. The lower 4 ft. of the wall will be beadboard. No wallpaper will be around the sink or the tub/shower.

Anyone with experience know if this will last?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-12-17, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Welcome to the forums!

Removing the wallpaper backer is best! Generally it comes off fairly easy when wet. I usually mist the wall with water from a pump up garden sprayer. Get it as wet as you can without making a mess [rags/towels at the floor] then scrape. That said, an oil base primer will generally seal the paper but you can still get bit by any paper with a poor bond to the wall.

Did I mention it's best to remove all the paper

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CT

08-12-17, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Mark,

Is it true that vinegar in the water will aid in dissolving and loosening the old backer/adhesive?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-12-17, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Some swear by it, others by adding fabric softener to the water. Personally I think as long as you get it wet - that's all it needs. The wallpaper paste is water soluble, once you get water/moisture thru the paper - it will dissolve the paste.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MI

08-12-17, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)  
get it off, it has the potential to come back and haunt you regardless of how solid it appears. Nothing worst than having to re-do a project due to a ill advised short cut>

CT

08-18-17, 02:23 AM   #6 (permalink)  
Thanks all for the advice.

Search this Thread