Wallpapering into a 135 degree corner

Old 11-28-18, 07:08 AM
Wallpapering into a 135 degree corner

Can anybody suggest a way to overcome this problem: several rooms in my old house have 135 degree corners in them and these are extremely difficult to wallpaper into. I carefully fix a piece of paper across the angle with less than a half-inch return and then position a second piece overlapping onto the half-inch return and cut it into the corner... initially all looks well, but inevitably once the paper has dried, the sheet that bridged the 135 degree corner tends to pull off the wall right in the corner giving an unsatisfactory result. I'm sure there must be a solution out there but I've no idea what it might be... Any advice greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-18, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Others may be able to answer your question directly but, since I hate wallpaper, my advice would be to paint instead.

Old 11-28-18, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No finished corner is perfectly straight and that may be your problem. Can you affix the wall paper so it bridges the corner in the middle of a sheet rather than close to the end? May be more adhesive to pull at to get the corner to stay put. Just a thought, have only dealt with 90 degree corners with my wall paper experience.

Old 12-05-18, 10:04 AM
I can definitely say that fixing the paper to bridge the corner doesn't work: I tried that once years ago and it produced the worst possible result with a hollow section of paper stretched over the angle.
The issue is that the paper stretches whilst it's got the wet paste on at which point it can be fixed beautifully into the 135 degree corner, but then as the paper dries out it shrinks back and pulls away from the wall junction.
There's probably no real solution to this (unless there's such a thing as unshrinkable wallpaper?!?) but thanks for thinking about it.
The best possible route will be what I intend to try this time, that being to return the first piece across the corner by the absolute minimum possible amount, then wait for it to dry / shrink, before cutting the adjoining piece to overlap it precisely into the corner: much easier said than done in a century-old house with wonky verticals!

Old 12-06-18, 10:41 AM
Try papering a strip 3-4 inches wide into the corner and then butt the edges of the pieces on each side as closely as possible over the strip. You could even let the strip dry completely before applying the other pieces.

Old 12-06-18, 12:40 PM
Talking Try this

When papering around or within a corner like that, I recommend doing what you have done but, instead of completing the corner as you have, paper your left piece in the normal fashion, leaving a vertical tab so that the "kill point" (the right edge) about 1/4-3/8" past the corner. Then, without squeezing the past out, take a hair dryer or a heat gun if you have one and warm up the paper while you gently work down the inside corner from top-to-bottom, removing any air and folds so that it is laying as flat as possible and then let it dry over night. The next day, continue with your second half of the run. Once the the first half has dried, over night, it won't move around as the second half cures and sucks up to the wall.
My experience has been that it will look good, once both are set this way. You won't be able to keep the paper tightly within the corner without doing it in two pieces as suggested here. but, placing two pieces on either side of the corner and allowing some dry time between hanging each piece should solve your problem.
Ideally, you'll have sufficient width on each piece so that you can get the second peice lined up.
As a pro, I used to use a laser level on the second piece to insure "plumb and level." If you don't have one, don't worry. Just "eye ball it and use a level to get your new kill point *ending the second piece. You have to find the spot where the second piece is the most narrow width. At that point, measure the width. Then use that measurement as the Plumb line (vertical line and with a level draw a like pencil line on the second wall) and hang your second piece's kill point down that pencil line. You'll need to tuck the paper into the corner tightly, preferably using a heat gun or hair blower. Pull the paper back out of the corner and sizzor-cut off any "excess" that goes past the corner. Cut along the corner crease that you made when you tucked it in the first time. That gets rid of the overlap around the inside corner. Then, tuck it in again with your gun and broad-knife and voilą!
I haven't looked on Youtube but you may find a video re: "how to install wallpaper on tight inside corners"
You can run a small bead of "seam paste", if you have any, down the first piece that you allowed to dry overnight, before you tuck the second piece into the corner for the overlap the last time. Use a damp microfiber or a plain rag once both "runs" (pieces) are in place.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-07-18, 10:52 AM
Wow! Thanks papernpaste: that looks like exactly the advice I was hoping for! I'll have to read it several times I think but it's good to know somebody out there has met with this problem and solved it... Thanks again.

Old 12-08-18, 06:45 AM
If you have any additional questions or need clarification, don't hesitate...

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
video link (sort of)

Go to YouTube; search the words after the = sign, below; 3 videos will appear that should clarify things for you.

search_query=installing+wallcovering+on+an+uneven+corner