Steamer vs DIF - Which is better for wallpaper removal?

Old 05-31-01, 10:26 AM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
Question

We need to remove the wallpaper from the plaster walls of the house we're buying. We have a wallpaper steamer which we've used with decent success on previous jobs (different house) but keep hearing about using a "paper tiger" tool to score the paper and then using DIF to help remove the wallpaper.

What are the pros and cons of each method? Is one method better than the other in different situations? Will the paper tiger mark the wall? Is DIF messy to work with?

Thanks!
Ed

Old 06-03-01, 04:03 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a paper tiger should be used as a last resort.Same with steamers! heres a page to show you how I do this tedious job on average once a week......
http://www.aceoftrades.homestead.com/strip.html

Old 06-04-01, 11:22 AM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
Toptosher...

Thanks for the info and the link.

So...
Do you use a DIF solution in the sprayer or just hot water?

What is woodchip? How do I identify it?

Is a steamer just not as quick/efficient as spraying or do you think it can cause damage?

We have old plaster walls - any special precautions?

Thanks!
Ed

Old 06-04-01, 01:27 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In the UK we don`t have DIF but on occasion I have used various wetting agents and always hot water in my spray cannister.....I usually use washing up liquid though!!

Steamers are ok for extremly stubborn papers otherwise I only use the methods on that link simply because I find them to be so much faster. Steamers can have a damaging effect on old plaster as the steam often penetrates the old skim coat.
Wood chip is a rough looking paper that is composed of woodchips and is designed to disguise bad walls..This stuff is notorius to strip and if you have read that page you will know that I strip it dry..

Follow my instructions and if you run into problems then I will try to help you further..

Old 06-04-01, 08:49 PM
Visiting Guest
wallpaper removal

wallpaper removal - what fun! found a tip in an old reader's digest - in a pail, mix a solution of 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water. use this to wet (not soak) your walls. peel paper off.

i removed an entire wall of wallpaper with this. my friends did not think it would work - but it did! i didnt bother with DIF.

good luck

Old 06-05-01, 02:27 PM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
toptosher & isadora

Thanks for the information. We will begin the wallpaper stripping on July 1 - when we acquire the house. You may get an urgent post from me if I run into problems : ^ )

We will only have 10 days to strip and paint our dining room, stairway, hallway and 4 bedrooms. I think we have our work cut out for us!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: