Best product for covering or priming vinyl walls

Old 02-18-20, 12:14 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best product for covering or priming vinyl walls

Hello. I live in an older modular home which all the factory wall panels have a vinyl surface. I have tried Zinsser Bullseye 123, and Kilz oil based. Even after cleaning the surfaces with TSP, these primers scratch off very easily. I have searched the net for a solution as I want to spray orange peel texture. What I would ideally like to find is an adhesive backed product like wallpaper that is paintable. Maybe with a textured surface. However, all the products I found of this nature are made of..vinyl, which tells me I would end up with the very same problem. Ideally, if I could find a product that is almost the same as the surface of drywall, with an adhesive backer I'd be tickled pink. I have seen some "removable" wallpaper products that are textured,...but again, they are vinyl. Anyone know of such a product? The only other solution I could come up with is removing all trim, and simply install all new 1/4 or 3/8" drywall, but I have neither the funds or the time to tackle such a project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-20, 12:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 158 Posts
Oil base primer should have stuck decent to the vinyl drywall face. Did you rinse the TSP well? How long did your let the Kilz dry/cure before you tested for hardness? I've never had any issues painting MH walls after using an oil base or pigmented shellac primer {BIN]

They sell a textured paintable wallpaper but I don't know a lot about it - I've painted it but never hung it.

Old 02-19-20, 01:05 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello Marksr.. Thanks for replying. Yes, I cleaned with TSP and rinsed. Weird thing,, I too did another mobile home with Kilz and it worked pretty good. But not this one. At first, I thought the Kilz would work. But after a few days, it scratched off with ease. So I tried the Bullseye. Same thing. Ok, well, thanks again. I'll keep looking.

Old 02-19-20, 01:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 158 Posts
TSP must be rinsed well! otherwise it can cause adhesion issues. I only use it on the exterior. Damp or cool conditions can slow down the cure time.