Is it glue or paint?

Old 06-13-01, 11:43 AM
mrslpdaley
Visiting Guest
Question

I have removed some wallpaper from my hallway. Actually, it removed itself--it was probably about 20 years old, and was falling down, I just gently pulled it off. The surface behind it has me confused. It appears to be the same color as the painted trim around the hallway doors. There are some areas here and there which appear to be paste, all crumbly. There is some kind of dark brown stuff on the walls, all around the edges of where the paper was stuck. My question is.... how do I know what is glue and what is not? Would the entire wall have been covered with glue, or just the seams? No, I have never done this before, I have no idea what wallpaper glue looks like. I have also never heard of wallpaper that just falls right off either. I did not need to use Dif or anything to get the paper down. My concern here is that I want to remove the glue, in order to paint the walls. But I do not want to waste my time scrubbing surfaces that don't have glue on them. In short, what the heck does wallpaper glue look like??????????/

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-01, 08:51 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
mrslpdaley, You describe what is left on the walls asThere is some kind of dark brown stuff on the wallsand my first thought is a clay based vinyl adhesive. It is dark brown and tends to crumble when old. What I would do is wet a small area with water about every ten minutes 3 or 4 times and see if it will lift with a sponge. Glue(if wallpaper paste) should remove fairly easily leaving whatever was done to the walls in the way of primer(if your lucky) to paint over. Don't paint over what may possibly be paste because it will bleed through latex paint. BTW, fabric backed vinyl(which should have been installed with clay based paste) will pull very easily from the walls...Mike