Laying wallpaper horizontally around bulkheads

Old 08-15-20, 11:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Laying wallpaper horizontally around bulkheads

Good day gentlemen, hope all is well with everyone during this 'testing' covid-19 pandemic time.

So, my wife bought wall paper.
...and the kind she bought gets laid on the walls horizontally.
... and have bulkheads in the top corners that are bowed, horribly out of square, and have rounded 'bullnose' corners, not square corners.

....and the walls are not perfect either, etc, etc, so that means we have to allow for edging overlap. And we are trying to lay a whole wall length; over 390 cm without cutting it into sections. And the laws of gravity insist on pulling the wallpaper downwards. She will not let me tear out and replace the bulkheads, nor do I want to do it. You get the picture.

The very vast majority of sunshine and lollipops videos online are to hang wall paper vertically, and most of those seem to pretend you are in a perfectly square room.

I first made a level chaulk line across the wall for the first top sheet, tried to measure and cut it out around the bulkheads, but that was just to hard for us. So then I figured I would lay my first sheet underneath the bulks heads, then the top sheet which is fairly smaller would be cut to go between the bulkheads. The remaining lower sheets should fairly easy ignoring the laundry hook-ups. The paper she bought has to be manually pasted on, so the thought was to get the sheets cut to the walls, do a few dry run rehearsals and then commit to it with the glue.

I would hire a professional but I would have better success winning at Las Vegas than with the 'pros' around here. So guys, you were a ton of good help for my floor tiling project a couple years ago, thought I lean on you for some suggestions. Any comments and great videos for this scenario is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance again,
Bob Plumb

Last edited by Bob_Plumb; 08-15-20 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-15-20, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 705 Upvotes on 598 Posts
I can't help you very much as I am allergic to wallpaper. I also think wallpaper should be banned.

I can tell you there is no square corner in any house and therefore, there will not be a square room. You will have to make compromises as you go. I think you did the correct thing by starting with a level line down low. Carry that line around the room so everything stays straight. Then, build up from there cutting at the bulkheads. If needed keep marking level lines (I would use a long level and a pencil) to keep things straight. You can also make a line and start new at the bulkheads.

Old 08-17-20, 03:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks Toyln, I expected to read that, well, except the part of being allergic to wallpaper.

I've got two templates made that fit pretty darn good to the bulkheads. Now just need to 'square them' into that first top sheet, and have that run on my level line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: