Why is painting wallpaper not recommended?

Old 07-09-01, 10:46 AM
Visiting Guest
I've read a number of posts on this topic, but I still don't understand why painting over wallpaper is not recommended. You said one reason is because it's best to get back to the original wall. But why? You also said it's not a good idea to paint wallpaper because then you've locked down the paper and it will never come off. But why is that not a good thing? I'm having trouble deciding on whether to remove, paper over, or paint over existing wallpaper that is the original layer and 10 years old.
Karen

Old 07-11-01, 09:59 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the paper on your walls is well stuck down and was hung neatly without overlaps etc then there is no reason at all why you cannot paint over it!
Bad walls are often cross lined to make them look better when painted.....So your wallpaper is "the lining paper" in this instance. I have stripped loads & loads of wallpaper that has been painted over in the past with no problems at all.
Ive heared somewhere in this forum that you may have to prime the walls first when your finish coat is latex. Others here will be able to advise you on that detail,but where Im from (U.K) this is not nessasary(different paint,different procedures).
When the paper is wet with paint,some blistering may occur but dont frett coz they will dry back flat.
Painting over wallpaper is a cheap way of brightening up a house...If that is all you want to do,then go ahead,it`ll be fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: