can i wallpaper bathroom with maps

Old 07-21-01, 08:38 AM
Visiting Guest
I well remember a powder room my parents papered using the front covers done by Norman Rockwell for the Saturday Evening Post (I think that's the wrong title but the right one's not coming to me.) For years I've been saving maps from National Geographic to do something similar some day. I have a bathroom with a chair rail better that half way up the wall and I'd like to paper the top portion of the walls with these maps. So my questions are: what paint do I use on the surface to begin with; what kind of adhesive do I use for the maps; do I then cover the papered surface with something to protect it. The bathroom is used by my teen-age son and it is not vented so it becomes steamy in there. The previous owners' wallpapering job is coming off, but I think that's partially due to the quality of the job in the first place. Thanks so much for your help.

Old 07-27-01, 05:10 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
mclark, There are other questions ahead of you but I had a minute and had to jump on this one. I was in a Red Lobster and in the bath for wallpaper was roadmaps. That set me thinking how to do this if it ever came up. If the existing paper will come off remove it and size with Romans R-35(Sherwin-Willaims) or BITE PRIMER sold at most big box stores. The BITE works well and is less money. A clear pre-mixed wallpaper paste would be good to hang with and may need to be thinned some. Paste the back of the map and fold it in half. Let the paper relax a minute or two and open it. Smooth it on the wall and wait 10 minutes. If it opens easily and doesn't wrinkle after on the wall you have got it. If it sticks together open sooner and if it wrinkles let it relax a little longer.....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: