Need to rmove paste

Old 10-15-01, 06:05 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it important to remove the paste before painting or papering? In three rooms I used Dif to remove the paper. Dif dissolves the paste and it requires much sraping and washing to get all the rough paste off. Half way through this room I tried peeling h the vinyl layer and then stripping the paper with only water. The paper comes off like a dream and leaves a smooth layer of paste. Is it important to remove the paste before painting of papering? If not, it would save me days of work.

Old 10-16-01, 04:40 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are papering then just rub the walls down and go for it...If you want to use a water based paint then the paste must be washed off.

Old 10-17-01, 05:21 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Jill of all trades, toptosher has it right concerning painting over paste. First, paste is seldom smooth enough to get a nice even job when painting. Worse than that paste discolors flat paint in a short time. You can get around this by priming with an oil primer like KILZ Original but the less than smooth surface will still remain. My best advice is not to paint over paste. The smooth layer of paste can be papered over with no problems.
There is no easy way to remove paste for painting but this is the way I do it. Using a garden sprayer with water and a very small amount of stripper mist the walls until soaked and wait 10-15 minutes and re-wet. This can go on for an hour or two or until the paste will scrape with a wide drywall blade. When most is shaved off sponge clean changing water often. Once finished wipe one more time with clean water....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: