Mold Containment

Old 10-17-01, 09:27 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
After removing paper in the bathroom, I discovered some walls with large patches of mold. I was planning to wash this area with bleach, and I'm thinking that I should cover over the mold with with either oil based Kilz or Bin, would prefer to use Kilz, so that the mold doesn't penetrate through the paper or the black color doesn't show through a light paper. After a reply from a fellow doityourselfer, Toptosher (Thank you, Toptosher), I wasn't going to remove the paste, which is like rubber cement. My question: Can I paint over some paste with these paints? In other rooms where I've tried to remove all the paste but still see some traces after days of scraping and washing, should I prime with Kilz before painting with a latex paint?

Old 10-17-01, 10:05 AM
T
I cant really advise you in regards to American paints and primers because im English...Having said that..Mould is mould no matter where it shows its face. You need to wash it down with an anti fungal wash and then prime using an oil based primer.. Ther is no guarantee that this problem will not arise again unless you install some ventilation in the form of an air brick/duct or extractor fan..You need somewhere for all that condensation and damp to go..Thats important.
Im a little confused as to why your paste is like "rubber cement"...Hang on.. I"ll ask mike..

Old 10-17-01, 03:07 PM
J
I suspect that the paste is a vinyl paste. Anyway, water does not dissolve it. The product called Dif softens it but doesn't dissolve it. It requires much work to remove the goo from the walls and never completely comes free of the stuff.

We use a vent but I don't know about the practices of previous owners. Hopefully, I just need to contain the old stuff and not worry so much about new mold. Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-17-01, 05:34 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
In my time I have seen paper installed with just about everything. Even powdered starch mixed with water. As far as dealing with what you have that can be tough. It won't scrape, strip or break down with anything. All you can do is get the most of it off and deal with patching as needed. A priming with and oil or better an alcohol based primer before patching would help....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: