under the wallpaper

Old 12-12-01, 02:06 PM
Visiting Guest
under the wallpaper

We successfully removed the wallpaper with DIF and scraping, but now the hard part begins!!! Thankfully, there seems to be at least one coat of paint on top of the drywall, but...
One wall is perfectly clean (well, close), but the others still seem to have adhesive on them. We've tried DIF, vinegar & water, hot water, sanding and TSP - none of which helped. We won't put up more paper, we plan on painting. Do we just prime over it and get on with our lives? ALSO, the previous owners used something to fix the seams that were coming up. None of the above had the least effect on those. When we try sanding, we hit wall board. Yikes, that can't be good. I actually uttered the word contractor tonight. HELP! I don't want to give up so easy.

Old 12-13-01, 02:46 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: under the wallpaper

Originally posted by whysitsohard
but the others still seem to have adhesive on them.
Please be more descriptive. What about the walls leads you to think there is still adhesive on them? What does it look like? Does it have a texture? Color? Does it feel tacky?

Old 12-13-01, 03:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Bob, thanks for the interest! The tack seems to be gone. The wall is still rough, but more than that, when you look at it with a light, at just the right angle, you can see areas that are darker, maybe a little yellowish. Also, when we scrape, a paper like residue comes off (not much). When we sanded, the top layer seemed to come off, but the crevices of the wall still had a yeloow color to them. Sorry for the non-technical discriptions, but this is sooooo new and confusing.

Old 12-14-01, 08:13 AM
B
I'm not sure what it is...

Sorry, I'm not sure what it is. Since the wall is rough, I'd give it a skim coat of drywall mud. When its dry, sand off any ridges or rough spots. Then prime it with a quality primer.

Old 12-14-01, 08:39 PM
T
If the walls have been rubbed down reasonably flat then an oil based primer should hold back any adhesive as part of your preperation..You can use a heavy grade lining paper instead of the primer if you prefer...,fill the seams..spot prime filler and decorate over that...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: