Wallpaper Border - How to Make it Stick

Old 01-16-02, 07:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry Wallpaper Border - How to Make it Stick

I wallpapered my kitchen and put up the coordinating border according to directions. 2 days later the border fell off. I purchased some Wallpaper Paste that said it would stick anything to anything and put it up again. One week later it too fell off. What is going on? What should I do? I followed the directions to a 'T" but it still fell off. HELP.

Old 01-16-02, 10:19 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simple... You are trying to stick a border over a vinyl paper with ordinary paste right...
You need to purchase a "border adhesive" which is made specialy for application over vinyl...Its a common mistake.

Old 01-16-02, 12:29 PM
Visiting Guest
No I am not using ordinary paste and the wallpaper is not vinyl.
I purchased special "border adhesive". I followed the directions perfectly and voila - it fell down.

Old 01-17-02, 08:32 AM
T
I purchased some Wallpaper Paste that said it would stick anything to anything
I can assure you that what you bought was not a vinyl to vinyl border adhesive...You could stick border to glass with that stuff!!
If your wallpaper truly has a paper surface then regular paste would suffice!! I suggest you make your next purchase from a decorators trade counter,tell them what happened and ask for a vinyl to vinyl border adhesive...

Old 01-17-02, 09:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Okay, I am going to quote what the container of adhesive says:
"Golden Harvest
GH50
BORDER & VINYL-TO-VINYL ADHESIVE
For Hanging borders and wallcovering over vinyl wallcovering."

The only thing I can think of is that someone left out an ingredient and that this is a bad batch. I am going to take it back to Lowes and get a refund.

This is my first attempt at bordering over the top of wallpaper - have done before only just over paint and had no problems.

Old 01-17-02, 10:59 AM
W
Talking

You might have gotten a bad batch or old product. I say take back what you have and get some Professional VOV PRO-555. If this doesn't make it stick, which it should, you would have to prime the border area and then apply your border with regular paste or VOV.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: