Wallpaper / Paint / Help!

Old 01-17-02, 01:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Wallpaper / Paint / Help!

I used DIF to remove wallpaper in my bathroom and it does the job, and more. Part of the board the wallpaper was attached to also peeled off. So the wall is half white plaster and half cardboard. The guy at Home Depot told me to just put primer over it and use a sand texture that mixes with the paint and just paint over it. Does this sound right?
I put primer on a small area and you can definitely see where the board has peeled. Will texture cover this? What about in the future, will that board peel some more and take the paint off?
Also, I have a smaller bathroom that I might eventually paint... can I just paint over the wallpaper?

Thanks for the help!

SGW

Old 01-18-02, 09:16 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First off, painting over existing wallpaper in almost every instance is a bad idea. Use proper stripping techniques and then paint.

Next, the guy at Home Depot gave you bum advice. Read this sentence and ask yourself how good it sounds: You can use textured paint over damaged drywall and it will be fine. The best advice would be for you to patch any large damaged areas with joint compound. Sand smooth these areas. Then apply a penetrating sealer/primer. Once the sealer has firmed everything up, you can paint away. There are only a few true primer/sealers on the market and you can find at list here.

Old 01-21-02, 07:58 PM
Visiting Guest
wallpaper / paint/ Help!

Thanks for the advice, I was really at a loss as to what to do.
This is my first "project" and I just knew that it wouldn't look right it I textured over the damaged drywall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: