wallpapaer removal

Old 02-04-02, 10:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation wallpapaer removal

I saw some advice on this but still a little lost.....I use DIF to remove wall paper and IT DOES WORK GREAT. I sand afterwards and wash the wall and get it ready. When i primer the wall and drywall covering starts to bubble and I peel it and get a cardboard primer mess. Is it better to just steam .....it is more that a few spots that peel and I end up with abot 20% of my wall needing patching with compound. That seem like a lot of peeling. DIF came highly reccommended. Is there an easier way?

Old 02-04-02, 01:02 PM
1sttimer
Visiting Guest
wallpaper mess

I have just last night had the same situation with my bathroom wallpaper. Used DIF and followed instructions after paper-tigering wallpaper, but when I began to pull it off the sheet rock came off in many areas (looked just like several layers of paint coming off). Tried many different things to stop it but had no control. It seemed as though the DIF had run behind the layers of sheet rock because they began to bubble somewhat. I am 3/4 of the way through and wondering what I have done wrong and how to fix this mess before I wallpaper again. It is not gouged; just flaky like deeply peeling paint. I hope someone can advise because I have 2 more bathrooms to do!

Old 02-04-02, 01:17 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looks like both of you have suffered the evils of bad preparation. Your stories are similar, so I will address them as one. You probably can do less further damage by following this advice. Ensure you allow the solution to soak long enough. The solution should turn the hard wallpaper paste into a slimey goo, for lack of a better term. When you pull on the paper and you see the drywall facing is coming off, that is a good indication that the stripping solution hasn't had a chance to work fully. Now, sometimes no matter how long you wait, the drywall facing will peel off. The reason for this is the wall surface wasn't primed with anything or the correct primer. There is a difference between primer and primer specifically formulated for wallpaper.

Take your time and let the stripper soak. Keep the surface wet at all times. You should also see if the top, decorative layer will peel off the backing material first. That way, you can ditch the Paper Tiger and just straight soak the backing material. Wallpaper scoring tools like the Paper Tiger, though good for their purpose, should be used as a last resort.

To fix the damage that has been caused, repair it with your favorite joint compound. Once this has been done use a true primer/sealer to firm up the whole surface. You can find these primer/sealers on my wallpaper prep page. Ensure you use one of the listed brands, as these are new products and no one makes these except whom I have listed. You may also want to visit my wallpaper stripping page for further stripping advice.

Old 02-04-02, 01:38 PM
1sttimer
Visiting Guest
Thank you so much! I had just posted a lengthier message. I am so glad I've found this site!

Old 02-04-02, 05:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Wallpaper mess

You are right.....it appears to me that the walls were never primed!!!! The problem I have is (I didnt emphasize it in my first post) The drywall dosent peel until I begin to primer.....its as if the primer is making it bubble. even though I have patched washed and sanded already. I dont mind patching(thats a lie I dont like it!) But I HATE patching after I already started priming and thats when the bubbling starts.....does that make sense? Then I have to peel the backing while I have wet primer on the wall....it makes a mess. Is there another way?

Waz

Old 02-04-02, 05:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Oh and by the way.....after 2 bathrooms of this I have found that joint compound is easier to work with than spackle.....thats just my opinion I am by no means a professional.......they are both difficult when you are doing such a thin layer......I find myself patching and sanding several times.

waz

Old 02-04-02, 07:39 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Waz,

It may be that you are using one of the "primers" out there. In order for best results you should spend good money on a primer. Ditch whatever you have and buy a quality penetrating, sealing, primer. Probably the best available one would be Zinsser's Gardz. If this product doesn't solve all your problems and make everything 5000% easier, you will next need to call Bob Villa! Patch what problem areas you have, let dry for 2 days, and then apply Gardz according to the can's instructions. Problem solved. Gardz's webpage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: