wallpapering over old glue...

Old 02-20-02, 09:12 PM
lark00217
Visiting Guest
wallpapering over old glue...

I want to wallpaper over walls that previously had wallpaper on them and it was removed. The person that removed the old paper didn't remove all of the glue and painted over the walls. Now the walls have paint over old glue. Can I repaper over them? Is there some special preparation I can do so that the bumps of the old glue don't show through the new paper?

Old 02-20-02, 10:00 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it was me, I would sand the entire wall surface smooth. Then coat the entire wall with a primer/sealer and hang wallpaper. For a list of real primer/sealers refer to my wallpaper preparation page.

Hanging wallpaper over what you have is an option as well. I would not recommend it because the paint probably doesn't have a good grip on the wall since it is over existing adhesive. If you did it this way anyway, you would want to choose a paper with a busy pattern to "hide" the surface irregularities. Also installation would be a super big hassle because the required smoothing could "hit a bump" and snag/tear your new wallpaper. See where this line of thinking gets you....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: