Removing Wallpaper Hung on Drywell

Old 02-23-02, 08:36 PM
karenb1964
Visiting Guest
Removing Wallpaper Hung on Drywell

I recently bought a home and have just started stripping the wallpaper. It appears that the drywell was never primed or painted prior to hanging the wallpaper. Will the water that I am using to remove the paper damage the unfinished drywall? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-24-02, 06:16 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The use of water alone or in combination with a stripping solution should not damage the drywall. In a situation like yours, most damage occurs by attempts to strip prior to proper soaking time or overzealous use of wallpaper scrapers. Its kind of hard to explain but wallpaper scrapers should be used with 90% up and down and 10% lateral pressure. Or stated another way, the concentration should be on the "pulling off" of the paper as opposed to the "get down underneath" of the paper.

This does not mean that you can or will sucessfully strip the wallpaper without damage though. Paper over bare drywall can be real bad news, but I have seen it goes easy as well. This is one of those rare instances where maybe papering over or painting might be warranted. I always recommend that you try to strip first. At least give it a fair effort, and if this fails, you can always prepare the surface for new paper or paint. More advice/instructions can be obtained via my website.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: